The Isle of
Skye is full of great places to visit, things to do and places to eat. Here are
some of our personal favourites
click on the name to go to their website. Many establishments are closed through the winter, so please check their opening times.
- The Isle of Skye Guide - An excellent website full of information on what to do on the Isle of Skye.
- Loch Lomond Seaplanes - Enjoy a flight around the Isle of Skye in the comfort of a seaplane. Flights start and end from the Ashaig airstrip on the south end of Skye, and also make a landing and take-off in Portree Harbour.
- The Skye Museum of Island Life - See how people lived on Skye before the days of computers, mobiles, electricity, and all things modern.
- Skyelight Candles - Excellent home made candles, cards and gifts.
- Phil Gorton Studio - Great photographs and cards of the more unusual aspects of Skye's incredible landscapes.
- Skye Skyns - See how sheep skins are turned into rugs, gloves,
bags etc. Next to Brae Fasach Studio. Visit both and have some refreshment at Ian's Studio.
- Edinbane Pottery - Some of the best hand thrown pottery you're likely to find anywhere; You may be lucky seeing it made when you visit.
- Brae Fasach Studio - Beautiful paintings and innovative pottery. Next to Skye Skyns. Ian also has a small café.
- The Isle of Skye Soap Company - Superb soaps and oils handmade with only natural ingredients.
- Shilasdair - Excellent handmade knitwear, hand dyed yarns available too.
- Island Cycles, Rod & Reel - Bikes and fishing equipment for hire by the day or week.
- The Misty Isle - An excellent boat trip from Elgol to Loch Coruisk in the back of the Cuillin mountains.
- The Bella Jane - A similar boat trip from Elgol to Loch Coruisk in the back of the Cuillin mountains.
- AquaXplore - Interesting boat trips from Elgol to the Isle of Eigg, Rum, Sanday, Canna and Soay. Whale watching trips, Basking Shark trips, Seabird watching trips. Half day or full day trips.
- Go To St Kilda - A great day trip to an island steeped in history. Must be booked in advance.
- Skye Adventure - If you're feeling adventurous, check out Skyeadventure for great days out, climbing, coasteering, cliff diving and more.
- Skye Activities - Boat trips, Mountain Biking, Walking, Water Skiing, Archery, Sea Kayaking.
- Whitewave Activity Centre - Kayaking, Wind Surfing, Archery, Hill Walking and Climbing.
- WalkhighlandsSkye's walking website guide. Maps of walks, places to visit and anything for walking; an excellent website.
- The Talisker Distillery - A must visit for Whiskey lovers. Gets busy, so book your tour in advance.
- The Oyster Shed - If you love oysters, this is the place! Fresh oysters, scallop, crab and lobster. Perfect for lunch as these can be served cooked with chips on the side. Local produce including meats, game, vegetables, pâté, pickles, etc. Up the hill past the Talisker Distillery.
- The Old Inn At Carbost - Excellent food using locally sourced produce. Has a great loch-side eating area. Close to the Talisker Distillery.
- The Edinbane Inn - Excellent food, local real ale, plus live music - Check their website for music events.
- The Glenview-Skye Pies Café - Excellent savoury and sweet homemade pies to eat in or take on your walk. Great chunky wedges, Simon's homemade spicy beans, and superb salads too! Wonderful soups and muffins.
- Ella's Café at the Sheiling - Behind the petrol station at Uig. Enjoy coffee, a variety of excellent teas, tasty soups, lunches and homemade cakes from an interesting and varied menu. Excellent Vegetarian dishes. Browse second hand books, DVD's and a range of other items at the Sheiling. Open all year
- The Uig Hotel - Enjoy an excellent lunch or evening meal from an interesting and varied menu.
- Cafe Sia - A great Café in Broadford. Wonderful handmade wood-fired Pizza, Salads, Brunch, etc. In-House Roasted Coffee, plus teas, milkshakes, wine, beers and cocktails. Open until 9pm. Check out the excellent online menus. Service can be slow, so don't be in a hurry.
- The Cuillin Hills Hotel - Lovely food in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. Probably the best dining view of the Cuillin Hills on Skye. Excellent varied lunch and evening menus
- The Portree Hotel - On the square in Portree, the Portree Hotel is a comfortable place for lunch or evening dining.
- The Granary, Portree Square - Another good place to eat in Portree square. Sit in or outside. A wide selection of delicious meals to choose from: breakfasts, snacks, lunches, cakes, ice cream.
- Red Roof Café Gallery - All food home made or locally sourced if possible. Great for lunch in the Glendale area. Live music evenings throughout the summer.
- Ellishadder Art Café - Another great food stop on the north east of Skye. Excellent homemade Vegetarian and Vegan cuisine, using only home grown or locally sourced produce. Delicious homemade Ice Cream. A great place to buy the wonderful Ness Soaps used in Teeny's Cottage, plus Maggie's hand woven cushions, rugs, and art. Commissions welcome.
- Single Track Café - An excellent lunch or afternoon tea stop. Soup, teas, coffee and hot chocolate at their very best.
- The Blue Shed Café - If you go to Elgol for a boat trip, or just out driving or walking, The Blue Shed Café is on the Elgol road, and the perfect stop for excellent home made soups, toasties, cakes etc. Six miles from Broadford on the Elgol Road. Lovely views from inside, as well as seating outside.
- The Stein Inn - Skye's oldest pub right by the water's edge. Bar and restaurant food, plus a variety of real ales.
- The Old School Restaurant - Excellent food, beautifully presented, not to be missed.
- Loch Bay Restaurant - Superb food by renowned chef Michael Smith. Two constantly changing menus to choose from. Cosy atmosphere, great location.
- The Three Chimneys - Excellent food in a casual, relaxed atmosphere.
- Kinloch Lodge - The proud owner of a Michelin star award, makes for food at its finest, and set in a superb location.
- Aros - Have breakfast, lunch, buy gifts. Aros is also Skye's cinema and theatre.